Author Topic: Stowing hooks on the lead?  (Read 4163 times)

skully

Stowing hooks on the lead?
« on: March 26, 2010, 08:25:25 pm »
Just wondering what YOU do......
I put my hooks in two groups & clip them to the TOP loops on my shoulders. Up there they don't hook the rest of my stuff.
I've used the hook bag(kinda tedious), clipped right in(major snarl), and my present method, and it seems to work for me.

Offline cclarke

• A1 fiend
    • View Profile
Re: Stowing hooks on the lead?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:58:17 pm »
I keep a Leeper, usually flat, on each aider and the rest (except the biggest) on two biners, one on each side of the gear rack high and in front.  The biggest ones I usually leave at the belay but, when needed, clipped on the back of the harness.

Offline Mike.

• Bigwall Shaman
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 10:05:38 pm »
On a big route where there are known hooking sections, two biners each with a large hook (Grappling or largest Pika), Cliffhanger, Talon, maybe an extra med/small. (A few extra hooks on the overflow rack.) I usually clip these at the rear of my harness unless there's biz right away. When the action gets going I'll clip wherever handy, but usually on the front of the rack loops and on the shoulder loop/biner. Seems like keeping them in the back is pretty outa the way. When I'm clipping that stuff near my face I sort of wonder of issues there, but I still do it.

Like the on-the-aider concept, cc. Bounce testing, hmmm.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:08:56 pm by Mike. »
Say no to limbers, excavators and retro-bolters. No matter how much he smiles.

Offline mungeclimber

• Administrator
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonorapassclimbing.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:42:32 pm »
I've been clustering. I seem to put all my hooks on one or two biners and then when i got to use them, I end up taking them off and they get mixed with other shiz or biners.  Maybe I need to pick a system and stick to it.  I really wanted a beef bag of some sort. 

Offline Mike.

• Bigwall Shaman
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:55:26 pm »
How do you find the hook biner on the back yer harness? Rattle the gear. Nothing sounds like hooks, esp if you have those big Pikas.

I like the idea of a bag, but also don't. Zephyr stashes his Peckers in bags. That makes even more sense, since a person (ahem, he) might have twenty of the same on hand solo.

Every time the hooks get tangled up on something, I'm relieved to know they work so well. Again.

vvv Sounds good, Cap'n. If it works for a person...it works.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:20:15 pm by Mike. »

skully

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 11:00:13 pm »
Well, My shoulder loops weren't that big; so I looped a tie off thru & voila!
My hook loop was born.
It's just my way.

Offline Slakkey

• A2 Flyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:40:04 pm »
Yep, one on each aider does work well. As what to do with the rest I to have tried a number of options as well. On the gear sling up forward for sure as I find if they are hanging on the back they always seem to end up in a cluster fuk.. On the back of the harness does work a little better as you can move them up to the shoulder loops as needed. I often clip other gear up there as well too. However sometimes I find that even on the back of the harness things can get into a tangled mess at times could be the operator error too. I am leaning more towards the bag option although possibly more labor intensive might be just the thing for me at least.

Offline YetAnotherDave

• A3+ Copper Bender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 09:10:00 am »
My hooks live in a Beef Bag until needed.  If I expect to need them again in the same pitch but they're bugging me on the aiders they hang on the little loops on the front of my gear sling.

Two identical biners of hooks: sharp grappling,  sharpened & shortened cliffhanger, talon.  The talon probably sees the most use, the cliffhanger the least.

I bag my heading gear too, with a pair of #1 peckers for deadheads.

Offline lambone

• WebDJ
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 02:07:01 pm »
The talon probably sees the most use, the cliffhanger the least.

hmmm, exactly the opposite for my My pointed cliffhanger is the hook of choice 9/10 times.

Sometimes I have them in a stuff sack that's clipped to the racking biner...usually they just hang and catch on everything...lol

Offline YetAnotherDave

• A3+ Copper Bender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 06:36:12 pm »
I use the smallest hook on the talon for bathooking, which there's a fair amount of on the moderate aid routes up here in squamish.  The cliffhanger's flex still wigs me out a bit...

Offline *Mucci*

• A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 08:46:52 pm »
I put the hooks into a chalkbag that has a plastic pint container from deli counter at the bottom.

The hooks come out easy, you can pull the drawstring, but the plastic cup keeps the bag "Open" inside.

Same deal for the peckers.

I am always afraid of taking one on the grill when I keep em on the shoulder, but they always end up there anyway!

Offline mungeclimber

• Administrator
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 10:00:44 pm »

I bag my heading gear too, with a pair of #1 peckers for deadheads.

THis is interesting and maybe I can hijack a bit here... so not having had to clear a dead head, only hang off their measley little wires (maybe that's almost dead, and not fully dead), it seems to me that 2 #1 peckers is almost assuredly going to be lighter than the 'butter knife' approach?

Offline YetAnotherDave

• A3+ Copper Bender
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:00:51 am »
If all dead heads were beak/hookable that'd be viable, but I don't think you can count on it.  Steeper rock and leaning seams make beaking deadheads more challenging too.

The other reason the beaks are in there (and the reason there are two) is that dead heads often hide beak placements.  I'd rather place a beak than a head any day. 

Offline hoipolloi

• A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 01:18:37 pm »
I also like to bag my hooks and my beaks/peckers.

I really like the plastic bottle inside the bag idea.  I guess if you had some real nice designer bags (like the Beef Bag) you wouldn't need it, but doubt I will rush out and buy the minor things like that until I win the Lotto ... or get a real job...

I love the bags though, keeps things more organized.

Offline mungeclimber

• Administrator
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 10:29:26 pm »
was looking at xmas gifts on Russ' site and was thinking of a hook bag for stowing hooks. The dimension needs to be shorter than the smallest big wall bag he makes. The clip in loop I think needs to be shorter too.

It needs to be a slippery material, but flexible. I think the beef bag material may be too stiff (at least when new).

thoughts?

Offline Garbonzo

• A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 11:46:18 pm »
My main hook bag is a small. Beef Bag, works nicely.  I made a knock off one for my spare set of hooks, but it isn't as nice as Russ' fine work.

Offline mhudon

• A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 08:21:58 am »
Small Beef Bag for the hooks and tie 1/2 webbing loops to the tops of your beaks and carry them from that. The loop is also a helpful tool in funking them out.

For a better small beef bag for hooks, have Russ put the closure string about an inch down from the top and on the outside. That way the hooks won't tangle with the string when you fiddleing with them. That was Max's idea, one time up El Cap in three decades and his mind is already working on old problems!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:17:22 am by mhudon »

Offline jake

• A2 Flyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 11:15:05 am »
Never had a hook or beak bag or felt the need, an on the lead "safety" bag, seems to be more helpful. 

Offline mungeclimber

• Administrator
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 02:07:19 pm »
Small Beef Bag for the hooks and tie 1/2 webbing loops to the tops of your beaks and carry them from that. The loop is also a helpful tool in funking them out.

For a better small beef bag for hooks, have Russ put the closure string about an inch down from the top and on the outside. That way the hooks won't tangle with the string when you fiddleing with them. That was Max's idea, one time up El Cap in three decades and his mind is already working on old problems!

good idea. 

Offline Mike.

• Bigwall Shaman
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 02:12:29 pm »
Tommy T ripped a fixed piece and was caught by a hook on his rack snagging a small lip. Never weighted the rope.

Bagging your hooks could be dangerous : )

Offline YetAnotherDave

• A3+ Copper Bender
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 07:50:27 am »
'nother vote for the little Fish bags - I use the sack from the "SACK-O-FISH HEADS."   It's got 2 clip-in loops, one with a little locker to my harness, the other with the hooks clipped to it.  I figure the separate loops reduce the chance of droppage a bit.

Offline cobbledik

• A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
    • Fail Falling
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 05:19:59 pm »
I keep them in a chalk bag (I tear out the lining to prvent snagging) the hooks themselves are attached directly to a rap ring. Obviously I attach my aiders directly to the webbing rather than the rap ring. (I need to start using a rap rings that are rated for falls but I just havn't yet.)

I just got two new sets of hooks because I lost two at Riverside Quarry. Here's a picture.
Sometimes the difference between a layman and a journeyman is simply what he is allowed to believe himself to be.

Offline mungeclimber

• Administrator
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 11:34:13 pm »
why the ring?

Offline mhudon

• A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 08:55:14 am »
I guess if I was speed aiding a route that had a lot of hooking I'd keep them on a ring like that. On ZM, where there is a lot of hooking it might be okay. I have two sets of hooks but have rarely need two of the same hook in a row, usually in a line of bat hooks but the thin Talon and the pointy Leeper work fine. With this ring method, I'd have to have all my five hooks out dangling from each of my aiders. It seems like a bit much to me.

Offline Mike.

• Bigwall Shaman
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 01:18:36 pm »
Cool idea, but a small biner pretty much does the same thing plus options. I like two more-or-less dupe hook "racks" for alternating. And for dropping : 0

Textbook webbing job on those, sans the ring. A single overhand in the loop can act as a keeper when the hook is off a biner, but more needed with the lighter tie-off webbing. I like cable on the big ones.

Never had issues with hook stowage on lead. They go in the back of the harness and are easily ID'ed by sound and feel. To each his own.

Offline mungeclimber

• Administrator
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile

Offline *Mucci*

• A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 11:54:26 pm »
Whoa!  The cappy is on it!

Offline Skully

• A2 Flyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 06:35:18 am »
Ha! You guys are funny....Hey, they were asking & I knew we already had a thorough discussion on it.
I think folks should refer here more often. There's some good stuff here, eh?

Offline lambone

• WebDJ
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 12:57:33 pm »
When David Alfrey (hoipolloi) sped passed me on Shortest Straw last fall in their 12hr push I noticed he had all his beaks and hooks in two separate chalkbags on the back of his harness. The bags were made of some bomber ballistics cloth. He speant a couple seconds digging for beaks and hooks but not long at all.

I have a big fear of taking a fall and getting a beak or hook impaled in one of my vital organs and dieing on El Cap. Another grouesome way to go up there...right behind getting swarmed by African Honeybees.

Offline mungeclimber

• Administrator
  • A4+ Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 02:10:36 pm »
there's African bees on El Cap?